This classic, Southern favorite is a crowd-pleaser here at TNFP!
- 8 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups stone-ground grits
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or any cheese - we used a blend of cheddar and parmesan)
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2-3 TBSP BBQ rub or Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, parsley, onions, garlic, and seasonings. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Enjoy!
Adapted from this food network recipe.