One of our interns prepared this amazing made-from-scratch enchilada sauce this week. We served it with our Mexican Shepherd's Pie. Makes 3 gallons.
- 24 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 6oz cans of tomato paste
- 3 14.5oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium onions, or 10 cups roughly chopped onions
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 handfuls of crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of cumin
- 6 tablespoons of chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons of salt
- 6 tablespoons of pepper
- 4 cups dice green chilis
- 1 Tbl chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
In a 3 gallon pot, add 1/2 cup of olive oil, or enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Bring the pot to medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic cloves to the pot and sauté until lightly browned. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth, and stir together. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add in the chilis and chipotle mix. With an immersion blender, puree all the ingredients. Add 2 large handfuls of crushed tortilla chips and leave them for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Using the immersion blender, puree once more until smooth consistency.